Thursday, December 6, 2018

Stereotyping in comics

As far as stereotyping goes I find it’s something that shouldn’t be used at 100% at all. Especially when it comes to villous characters because then it’s usually used to demonize a group of people. The only acceptable time I find this is in regards to Nazi’s. Stereotype the hell out of them. 
The best way in my opinion to use any form of stereotyping is to deconstruct it into small pieces, using only one or two choice pieces to help construct a character. Using stereotypes in this manor I feel is an inevitability especially with secondary characters as a method of padding out their character into a more three dimensional being, even if it usually ends up falling mostly flat. But because of this you are let with so much else to customize and usually will end up eventually discarding the stereotype pieces cause your character is 3 dimensioned without it.
And as a white Caucasian girl the only stereotype I can consider applicable to me, would be the damsel in distress trope.

No comments:

Post a Comment